Surveys
![]() |
| Generated at Vecteezy 4 October 2026 |
Have you been surveyed? I have. I've received surveys by email and instant message; I no longer answer unidentified telephone calls and toss junk mail.
It seems that every company, politician, utility, medical facility wants me to complete their survey. I've noticed an increase lately that makes me cringe.
I received an email to pre-check in before a doctor's appointment; great, no problem, very convenient. But, was it really necessary to receive a follow-up survey so I could rate how convenient the process was?
After receiving service from a technical company I received a survey asking how "Joe" helped me. This wanted more than just a rating; it wanted specific things "Joe" did that merited that rating, Another company wanted to know what impressed me most. They didn't give me the choice to answer that the fact that I spoke to a real person was the greatest impression.
My apartment complex has a new "virtual assistant" who answers when you call the office. This AI takes voice mail messages for the office and places work orders for maintenance. I recently called to have maintenance change the bulbs in my ceiling fan light fixture. AI asked if I could change the bulbs myself. You can probably imagine what I was tempted to say.
Maintenance came and changed the bulbs; it probably took all of five minutes. I immediately received an email that the work order had been performed; would I complete the attached survey about how satisfied I was with that task and their service overall.
Surveys are an easy method of getting information but they are only as good as the questions asked and the interpretation of the data collected. They are the first step for good service, not the end tool.
At South King County Genealogical Society, we have a group of members who are very concerned about serving society members and guests to our best ability. In addition to their individual genealogical research and daily family lives, these members meet monthly as the board of directors. At these meetings they consider if are we giving people information they need? Are our speakers interesting? We haven't put out a survey for several years. . .
![]() |
| Generated at Vecteezy 4 October 2026 |
Instead of doing a survey, let's ask, encourage, beg people to contact the board with ideas. Have you heard a speaker or read an article that we should consider presenting? Contact us at skcgs.org by emailing any of our officers or committee leaders. Or do as a couple of our other members do, attend a board meeting. You might have that great idea we haven't thought of yet.
While you are at it, consider filling the much needed Secretary position. You do not have to take copious notes because meetings are recorded and we use AI.
*next Board meeting is Tuesday the 6th at 1pm. write to Board@skcgs.org for the Zoom link



Comments
Post a Comment